Thursday, July 03, 2008

Close Call!

We've been trying to sell our piano on craigslist and what not. We thought we had it sold. The buyer seemed a little strange, and something about our corresponding emails and his manner didn't feel right. Trevor read them and didn't see anything abnormal. But it's that nagging mothers instinct that just doesn't let you do things sometimes. We preceeded cautiously and finally agreed to selling our beautiful piano for $2500. However, when the "certified cashiers check" came in the mail, it was for $5900. I went to email the buyer, and found an email from him first instructing me that the first $2500 was for us and the remaining $3400 we needed to wire to the shippers in North Carolina. I thought that was odd. First, because I never previously agreed to this. That's awfully trusting of a stranger to think that I would do this and not just keep the $3400. Why not? The check was to me right? Secondly, it was odd because why didn't he just pay his shippers seperately? Why do I have to pay the shippers. That's weird. Well, we (and by we I mean Trevor) took the check to the bank. The bank said it would take 30 days to clear. We could cash the check, but they'd need our info in case it was bad, so they could get the money back just in case. Trevor took the check to another bank, and even talked to the bank manager. They tried to call the bank, but no one answered. Even though it was normal business hours anywhere in the country. They checked out the banks website, and it didn't seem very authentic. The bank manager heard of scams like this. We cash the check and send real money to a legit shipper. Shipper comes and takes piano. 30 days later, the check doesn't clear, and they come after us for the entire $5900. So not only don't we have the money, but we just paid someone $3400 to take our piano, and now owe the bank $5900. So I emailed the guy back saying that if he can wire money to the shippers, he can wire money to me. We can't accept the check and we will not be paying anyone to take our piano. That is his responsibility.

SO glad we avoided that one! The police have said how very lucky we are because most calls they get is about 2 months after everything is said and done and after the innocent are screwed over. We're very lucky we caught it before anything devastating happened. And did you know the police get this call like 5 times a month just in this city alone!? Isn't that crazy? It makes me very sick that people can just take advantage of good, honest, hard working people like that. Luckily since we nabbed it before it got us, and have the shippers info, the police have a really good lead. They said usually the shipper is in on it too.

I think the Lord watches over us more than we realize.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you were meant to keep the piano!

Nicola said...

that was close really really close you almost got scamed I LIKE PIE AND CHEESE

Kate Challis said...

Oh my gosh. That's sick. It makes me feel so awful to think that somebody would do that to you! I know that if something like that were to happen to me and Danny, I would be just devastated. Ugh.

Leah said...

That's why craigslist has all those banners that say things like "BEWARE of out of state buyers" and "DO NOT wire money" and several pages dedicated to scams. I'm surprised you went all the way to the bank. Don't they send all that warning stuff to your email as soon as you post?

Caty said...

Mother's Instinct... aka: the Spirit! :) Gabe and I got scammed before we were married. He was getting a car on cars.com (a wellknown car site) and things went badly. We didn't listen to that "nagging" feeling of the spirit and we lost thousands of dollars! Hopefully some day the money will make it's way back to us... we learned a lot!

Toast Habit said...

I love craigslist. I had a friend that bought a car that turned out to be stolen. The police seized it and said, "Sorry!"