Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer time pleasures

Thanks to the Steinbergs, Trevor and I have a cherished summer time tradition; try a new flavor of homemade ice cream every sunday. Yesterday, the new flavors were raspberry (very tasty) and Melissa and Theron made chocolate hazelnut gelato, which tastes like Nutella! Deliciousness all around!

Currently, I am eating the raspberry and some of the left over blueberry ice cream from last week. The week before, we enjoyed blueberry and mint chocolate chip- with mint leaves fresh from Leah's garden! We've tried the mint before, but it's one of my favorite flavors, so we do make that one more frequently.

My camera broke, or else I would post pictures of these yummy treats. Among all the flavors we've tried:

  • Double-chocolate (too rich for me. Needs a swirl of marshmallow or something. Next time, we'll be making it into rocky road)
  • Mint-Chocolate Chip (I also enjoyed Leah's soy version with oreo cookies in it)
  • Blackberry Sorbet
  • Triple Berry Sorbet
  • Avocado (I highly don't recommend this one. It leaves a...texture...in your mouth)
  • Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato (Thanks again Wieses!)
  • Blueberries and Cream
  • Raspberry
  • White Chocolate
  • Caramel (and yes, the caramel is homemade too)
  • Pumpkin (very very tasty. Made from a pumpkin in my mother's garden)
  • Once attempted Country Peach, but that one didn't work out due to reasons beyond my control, and I'm still too upset to make that one again.

So if this is baby weight you think I've been gaining, you're sadly mistaken. Thanks again, Steinbergs. The ice cream maker and Williams-Sonoma recipe book are some of the most used wedding presents we got. Thanks Leah and Mom for sharing your garden. Fresh ingredients are always the best. And boy, ice cream makes me happy!

8 comments:

Miranda W. said...

Also, we ate dinner outside on our kitchen table again. This big pregnant can not stand the heat!

Jessie said...

All those flavors sound yummy! I've wanted an ice cream maker so we can make sorbet(i'm lactose intolerant). I'm crazy for that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Heat? What are you talking about? Come on down, and I'll show you heat!

Toast Habit said...

Wow. And I thought I liked homemade ice cream. Does the rock salt guy deliver directly to your door or do you just get your own in boneville? I think that you should post the actual recipes of some of the best of the best. Maybe on a separate blog. And you could call it "I scream, you scream, we all scream because we are being attacked by the insane aMOUNT OF HOMEWORK IN THIS STUPID CLASS!!!
Love Elden

Miranda W. said...

The tubs you put the soon to be ice cream in have liquid in them, so you just keep the tubs in the freezer. When you're ready, you take it out, but the cream in, put it in the stirring thing, and 20 min later, you have ice cream. No rock salt needed! Its mess free!

Theron & Melissa said...

YES!! WE are the best! Were you aware that we are trying to lose weight so we can go on a cruise next June? My Dad pays for it if we get to our goal weight...then he found out about the Sunday ice cream. That is why I left the rest with you, even though I would have gladly eaten it and the other two by myself in one sitting. *sigh*

Miranda W. said...

I did it half of yours and the other two! Pretty much by myself! I'm trying to gain weight by November. Ok so this sunday will be tofu flavored. haha. And it'll be sugar free.

Anonymous said...

heh- people I have known who eat a bowl of ice cream every day are some of the skinniest people I know. Look at all my children. It can't be fattening. - granny g