Monday, January 18, 2010

I made a book!

So, I pretty much haven't sewn anything since 7th grade home ec. So it's been like a decade. I really want to learn to sew again. so I decided to start with an activity book for Allie and future children (if it lasts through Allie.)

The cover has hands that move.

The first page has a girl with changeable eyes and lips. You can also do her hair. Adjacent is different shapes and colors Allie can match.

The next page has laundry she can take out of the laundry basket and hang on clothespins. Next to that is a mailbox where the flag can move, and she can open and close the door. I'll put letters or envelopes or treats in there each sunday.




The next two pages have a "garage" for a matchbox car and a little town to drive through.


The next page cracks me up. It's my bearded man. You can either pull on his hair or his beard to make it grow. Next to him are several pockets you can button, latch, velcro, snap, tie, buckle, and so on.
Next is a grocery bag she can pull various fruits and veggies out. After that is Noah's Ark with a pocket she can unzip and discover lots of animals.

Last but not least, the credit. A special thanks to Grandma K and Ruth for donation of material. To Ruth and Rachel for all the help (again I can't sew OR thread a surger!). It would've been an utter disaster without you two.To my in-laws for putting up with the mess for a few weeks. And last but not least, Ruth, Rachel, Granny G, and Leah for all the brainstorming and good ideas for pages.
















12 comments:

Katie said...

hahaha That's so awesome! You're like the best mama ever!

Katie said...

I LOOOVVVVEEEEE this! will you make me one for my kids in 30 years! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job. Can I play with it when I come up? That is a lot cuter than the one I made. Hey you look fabulous pregnant. mom

Jennica said...

So cute! I started a quiet book like this...made all the blank white pages...finished one page...and then haven't looked at it since. You have inspired me to try and finish it! Such cute ideas for me to copy now too!

Miranda W. said...

I had more pages I wanted to do, but lost my steam. But, I made it so I can add and remove pages later on. Instead of sewing a seam to connect all the pages, I put two button holes on each pages and will connect those with little metal rings (you know, like the ones in three ring binders). That way, as Allie develops, I can add pages to her level. Or if a pages is boring or gets too worn, I can remove it.

Lisa said...

I love it!!

Leah said...

I like the bearded dude's tonsils, and that chick's buck teeth. Totally unconventionally perfect. Good work, sis, it turned out great.

Toast Habit said...

I have one word for you... Mass production, baby.

Patricia said...

men!!! i am so impressed!! i wish I could do something like that!!!

Anonymous said...

Even when your funds is low-cost, the product or service must as very good as it could acquire. north face They are perfect for making clothing with.. http://www.softuggboots.com She feels it is a slap in the face that Reggie would consider having a baby with this woman when he wouldn with her.. north face uk I didn know what to expect: the only knitting festival I attended previously was New York Sheep Wool at Rhinebeck, and clearly an event held in the Seattle Marriott wasn going to be featuring quite so many wooly beasties. ghd flat iron Once only a platform for bloggers, WordPress is gaining popularity as a tool for creating individualized Web sites.

Anonymous said...

The products include dresses, t-shirts, headbands, pants, jackets, skirts, belts, and handbags. ugg sale I use it as eyeliner (on the upper, lower lash line and on the waterline) and as a base for eyeshadow sometimes.. cheap ghd This shouldnt actually be surprising knowing that chanel has been creating beach style, but I just cant help but be totally stunned on this shell design. ugg boots Of course, due diligence must be made to ensure that you are not being taken advantage of by unscrupulous sellers, but there are many online shops which safeguard their customers' interest. ghd flat iron Steampunk clothing can suffer from the same issues since it is designed after Victorian fashion, which requires exact fitting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by. http://www.morenorthface.com If you put the stone in right away, it will distort the color.. ugg I do love this little number. north face jackets Today: Eric and the secret magic of elk bugling. cheap north face jackets Blogetery is a blog website that offers you payment to write blogs.