Tuesday, June 02, 2009

not my slice of steak

Texas, it is decidedly certain, is not where we want to be. Good thing it's just the summer, right? People always comment how it's friendly here, but I think that's a lie. Ok well a partial lie. They appear friendly. Everybody is chatty in public, but it's not authentic. And that annoys me. Also, when I'm in a hurry and my baby is fussing and has a full diaper and everybody wants to stop and chat and touch her face, it's annoying. I really like just going about my business and being left alone, for the most part.

Also church is different. The bishop isn't our cup of tea, I mean, slice of steak either. We have a hard time with his personality. He also went out of his way to make sure anyone having to do with APX felt unwelcome. We learned later he works for a rival company. The second week we were here, church was cancelled because of the swine flu. Different. This week, the last meeting was cancelled and instead we met in the chapel again and went over disaster plans. Yesterday marked the first day of Hurricane Season. Last year Hurricane Dolly swept over this area and left her mark. Different. And scary. Of course, both of these church interruptions were needed, but just different. Also, in the mother's lounge there was a HUGE red cockroach! Yuck! The one found in my kitchen was maybe 1/3 it's size. And yes, there was a cockroach in my kitchen. I keep my kitchen spotless (and the little jerk was in a non-food cupboard anyway), but as my dad so kindly pointed out, in apartment living, if your neighbor has cockroaches, so do you. I just do my best to make sure they know my kitchen is not the place to be.

Mostly I miss family and the children. The nieces and nephews. Especially, Halen, who I haven't met yet, but can't wait to hold and kiss. Poor thing. He's been a month on this earth and still hasn't met his favorite auntie. Sad.

On a bright note, I found the library. I've already read a book and am reading two more at the moment. The library isn't quite as big as the Orem one, but it'll do for a summer. I read "The Stoning of Soraya M." It's a true story about a woman in Iran who is falsely accused of adultery and stoned to death by her village just so her husband can be rid of her without having to pay back her dowry. And this happened in my lifetime. A tear jerker too. I almost read the entire book in the same day, but didn't finish the last half of the last chapter because I couldn't see through my tears. Now I'm reading "Geeks" by Jon Katz about some Idaho boys who ride the internet to Chicago, and "Woman Power" by Dr. Laura. It's the sister book to "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands". I would love to write a lot more about that, but Allie desperately needs a nap, or something, I don't know because she's teething and I can't do anything right to please her. So much for the bright note.

3 comments:

JaMiEj said...

I thought you were so eager to get out of Utah! Hope things improve for ya.

Tio Bruno said...

Even Bishops are just men with their own foibles. And I was trying to help you cope with the cockroaches!

Jessie said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a tough time in Texas. We absolutely love it up north in Dallas. You guys should move up here ;). But I totally understand about missing the family. I have a nephew that I haven't seen since I got married 2.5 years ago and another nephew I haven't met yet. I guess visiting just makes things extra special. Good luck to ya!